Sunday, November 11, 2012

Another Joyful Week of Service


Great Week
this past week has been really good. we went on exchanges with the our district leader in lumberton and with the jasper missionaries, it was a great learning experience to learn from other missionaries. We met and taught a lot of lessons this past week. 

Halloween
yeah last wednesday for halloween we did a trunk or treat were everyone decorates there trunks and gives out candy to the community that come on by. We also had chili it was pretty good. They said in all the years of them doing this this was the best year they had about three hundred people come through and a ton of non members it was pretty fun. we were the judges to see who had the best trunk and gave them a trophy.
 
Barbie and Roy - The Power of the Book of Mormon
Barbie and roy has been doing pretty good they have been inviting us over for dinner every saturday and roy has cut back on smokin gwhich is really good. they just saw the doctor the other day and told them that Roy only has weeks or months to live because of the tumor that is spreading so fast. We have been going over there at least two to three times a week to encourrage and to lift him up. yesterday we stopped by and roy was feeling all nervous and not that good, he was about to smoke outside but we handed him a book of mormon and told him to read ether 12 about faith. we can back inside to talk to barbie. we saw him to read it and he came inside and was still reading it on his hospital bed. when he finished the chapter he said thankyou. he said when he read the book of mormon that the nervousness, anger left him, and he was alll calm and peacful. The book of mormon is powerful and I know it is the word of God. each day i read it on my own and with investigators it convinces me more and more that it is true and that Joseph Smith did translate it by the power of God. Oh yeah we watched the joseph smith prophet of the restoration with them and they loved it and it helped barbie a lot about losing a lot of close family and friends she has lost. She saw that joseph smith went through a lot and a lot of his family members and friends passed away but he kept moving and pressing on. We listend to a talk by president thomas s. monson becuase she wanted to hear the prophet. the more she finds and studies about our religion she is more convinced that this is the only true church on the face of the earth.
 
The Longs
yesterday we taught a new family the Longs and we brough a member that knows there daughter. we taught the restoration to them and they asked a lot of questions about the book of mormon. they loved to talk so went off topic a lot of the time. non denomitional church, they were baptists before but they do not believe some of the things they do which led them to that church. I know if they search this out with a sincere heart and real intent they will come to know the truthfulness by the power of the holy ghost. I am very excited for them and they invited us to come back to teach them a little bit more.
 
Jacob the Baptist
We saw jacob he is a 17 year old that is living with the tomas's. he goes to the baptist church. he said it would be very hard to convert to mormonism because he has always grew up in the baptist church. at this time I was on a exchange with the district leader elder sylvester who was my previous companion in beaumont 5th branch. he is a convert about 6 or 7 years ago and he shared his conversion story with him and it really hit him and he invited jacob to read the book of mormon with real intent and a sincere heart of really wanting to know of the truthfulness of it.

18 Month Reflection
I can not believe I have been out for 18 and a half months on my mission. I have learned so much, I have grown so much (spiritually and physically haha) well at least I think i have we will see. My testimony has strenghtened immensly I am so grateful that i was raised into the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. I know that these last few months will go by so fast before I know it. I know there is a lot of more people that I will touch. I am so grateful to be a missionary to share this wonderful news to the people in texas and lousiana. There is still a few things that i need to work on and to improve on but I know I will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment